Sometimes this is how this journey feels...like I am minding my own business walking along and someone knocks me down. Sometimes unknowingly and even more surprisingly -sometimes - deliberately! WOW! We do that to each other. Why?
Here's an unknowingly example.
i.had.no.idea.the.amount.of.food.that.is.offered. every.single.day.
I know, I used to be one of those makings those offerings! I mixed it up a little at Christmas this year with neighbor and colleague gifts...but there was still food. Next year I will do better. (But as I write this, I realized that this will take a little more planning and a different kind of effort.
Food is so very much a part of our social customs.
I teach. As I have made the effort to make changes in my eating - I have become aware of the amount of food I am exposed to on a daily basis. For example...Back to School night is before the first day of school. The principal came around with a welcome back offering of assorted candy bars, cookies, chips and ice cold bottled water. Shortly after, another teacher brought around a big box of Fat Boy ice cream sandwiches to say hi and welcome us each back and later that night, our wonderful PTA had put Utah Truffles candy bars in our boxes. Last year - I would have mindlessly taken (and eaten) each one! This year - I thanked the principal for the water, passed on the ice cream sandwiches while thanking the teacher for stopping by to say hi (the real reason for the visit) and took the truffle bar home to my hubby.
We often socialize with food in our hands...what do I do with empty hands?
How do I feel a part of the gathering without a plate of food in my hand?
ME? I keep a bottle of water in my hands - then I am holding something that I can put into my mouth and still be apart of the socialization going on.
Little changes - What little changes are you making daily to become more healthy?

You are inspiring! Thank you for letting me come along in your journey. I'm so proud of you and so happy for you! Love you!
ReplyDelete