
I LOVE compliments! A honest heartfelt compliment goes a long way! I need to be more open with others and give them more - much more! I have realized in the past 6 months how much they really have helped me!
I don't like really to be the center of attention. (Why I am a teacher I really wonder at times! But that is a different kind of attention, at least for me.) If I am in front of a group and in charge I handle myself OK (at least I hope so)! But when I am in the class, as a student or part of the staff or group or whatever, I am quiet. I have to make myself talk. As in, okay today during - enter said situation here - I will speak. I will make two comments. Really, who does that? Me. That's who! That is how much being the center of attention is hard for me. But back to the compliments.
By the way, for someone who does NOT like being the center of attention - being as large as I was definitely made me the visual center of attention!
Last fall, after I started losing weight, I constantly asked my family if they could tell. It was hard work and I really could NOT see the results. The scale gave me results - but my eyes didn't. So, I relied heavily on my family's input. HEAVILY. No pun intended!
I remember my very first acknowledgement of my accomplishment - I had lost nearly 100lbs. I was really struggling with no one really noticing or not saying something if they did notice - but that is another post. (I am NOT doing this for others - but, it was so hard! I hoped that it was making a difference.) I had to have some paper work signed by my old principal who had been transferred to a new school. I was off track and showed up to her school to have her sign my papers. I walked into her office and she said, "What's new? Besides you!" Wow, I was so happy! Having not seen me in 5 months she could see the difference. I floated for days on that. Those simple words helped me through the holidays and all those tempting goodies! I played that over and over and over in my mind! A simple sentence from the heart! I again saw this principal yesterday. We were at a district training and at the very end the district principals came in to observe a discussion between the leaders of the workshop and the teachers attending. They were there to observe and get information about how the teachers felt about some major changes in the curriculum that we teach. As my former principal walked into a already crowded room she glanced around. I smiled - but she didn't really respond. Oh well, she probably has a lot on her mind! Again, the "I have to make myself speak" conversation went on in my brain. I was a bit passionate about one of the questions, so I raised my hand and answered. When I was finished, I see this waving off to the side and my former principal was mouthing to me, "OH MY GOSH - you look great!" I smiled and said thank you! When I got home, I had to sign into my work email account to finish my assignment because I had Internet issues at the conference. There was an email - sent right at the time of class - she sent it as I was speaking! the title was, WOW and it said, "I looked over the room and looked for people I knew. There were quite a few. I had to add one more to that list when you started talking. I recognized the voice - not the body. You look great. I love the new hairdo!"
Also this week, on fb one of my old "Beehives" - girls that I taught in church - messaged me a sweet compliment. Completely. Out. Of. The. Blue. I was humbled and elated. Once again, I am inspired and motivated to continue on this this very difficult journey. A journey to find myself and to come out a better person as I learn from the graciousness of others. Thank you JS and CH for making me feel loved and valued and accepted!
BTW - there are several stories I could share here. THANK YOU! To those who have reached out and shared of yourselves with me. I am inspired to be better and acknowledge others for the things they do. Honestly, a few minutes and a few heartfelt words can literally make some one's day!
I am only hiding behind a two year old - now that's progress! I just HATE my flabby arm here - that someday when I am rich and famous, I will pay someone to make it go away!
No comments:
Post a Comment